I introduced Willie Fu to something wonderful today: Peanut butter & cracker sandwiches.
Today was one of those “nibbling” days where I did not want anything particularly heavy for lunch. I really just wanted something simple, good, filling, and not horrible as far as healthy is concerned. After eating my fill I made some sandwiches for the dogs as a form of treat. Willie’s eyes nearly glazed over with happiness! He sat patiently for each sandwich to be made, just like the others did – they received 3 total apiece – but he drooled and dripped. Willie Fu loves peanut butter. Most dogs do, but Willie seems to like it better than any dog I have seen in a while.
As I was making sandwiches for them and then feeding said sandwiches, I thought about some of the lunches my Mom and I used to have when I was home. One of my favorites when I was younger was cold biscuits, salt, and a slice of onion.
Don’t turn your nose up at the idea of it or the thought of the taste. It is very good. I don’t know why we ate this combo with our Pepsi sometimes, but we did. I don’t know if we didn’t have much food at the time, but it happened throughout the years so I don’t believe it was simply needing food.
There were times when my Aunt Fay would come across the road and if she was there early she would sometimes eat with us. My Uncle Bud would also stop by while he was alive and eat this same kind of lunch with us.
One of the most curious things that hit me was wondering whether or not my sisters ever ate the same kind of lunch with Mommy when they were younger and at home. If they did I can’t remember us talking about it.
Sometimes it is the most simplest of pleasures that give you the best, clearest memories of your life.
- Peanut Butter Throwdown and a Giveaway! (foodologie.com)
- We Try the New Peanut Butter and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts (sweets.seriouseats.com)
- Count on peanut butter to boost satiety, stabilize blood sugar (miamiherald.com)
- Ask a Chef: Best Back To School Lunch Recipes (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Healthy Snacks With Peanut Butter (littlegirlinstyle.com)
- gourmet peanut butter sandwich (peacelovegreenjuice.wordpress.com)
- Peanut butter and banana stuffed French toast (susupiggy.wordpress.com)